Be careful loaning out hat blocks

Milliners beware! Be careful when you loan your blocks out.

The other day I was posted back a block I had made for a milliner who obviously cares for her blocks very much. The block was loaned out and came back very badly damaged by blocking pins.

Now, the blocks are meant to pinned, thats why I use the soft wood that I do. But care needs to be given to just where the pins are placed. On thin edges and corners are not good places for pins and if you must, do it sparingly.

The block was so badly pinned around the base of the crown that I had to machine 10mm off the base and glue a new piece of timber to it and finish it off. When done it was as good as new and I know she will never loan out another block.

Here is a photo of good and bad placement of pins...



So if you do share, and that is a wonderful thing, please make sure your friend knows how and where to pin to make the block last a lifetime!

Darryll